A Strong Voice And
Advocate For The Injured

Who to contact after a car accident

On Behalf of | Aug 3, 2017 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

Car accidents happen all the time, and they can range in severity. A report from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation found that in 2014, an average of 332 car accidents happened every single day. This resulted in over 200 people suffering injuries daily.

For many people, their first thoughts turn toward hiring an attorney to represent them in the inevitable lawsuit. However, there are other people and organizations to reach out to following a collision. Contacting these sources as soon as possible will help greatly down the line.

Medical personnel

Some accidents are fairly minor where both parties have little or no injuries. There are other instances where the injuries are far more severe. In either situation, someone needs to contact an ambulance to treat any wounds. Even if people feel fine, it is better to have medical professionals check you out to make sure there are no injuries that are not readily visible.

Insurance agency

People involved in a car accident should contact their respective insurance providers immediately. Explain the facts clearly and accurately. Many people do not want to admit fault. However, it is better to speak openly with an insurance provider rather than lie and have the agency find out the truth later.


Many people are hesitant about contacting the police, but it is a good idea to have a report of the incident within their files. In the event the collision case goes to court, it will be useful for everyone if there is a detailed report accurately outlining everything that occurred.

Conversely, people should be wary of talking to representatives from other insurance companies. A person from the other party’s insurance agency may reach out, claiming they just want some more information. People need to be wary of discussing the events of an accident because any statements are capable of coming up in court. Drivers only need to speak with doctors, their own insurance representatives and police officers immediately following a collision. 

FindLaw Network