A Strong Voice And
Advocate For The Injured

What to do after a car accident in a company vehicle

On Behalf of | Oct 2, 2017 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

Many citizens of Pennsylvania will experience a car crash some time in life. A report from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation found that one out of every 43 people in the state were in collisions in 2016. 

Car accidents can become even scarier if you are involved in a collision while driving the company car. For the most part, the steps are the same no matter what vehicle you are driving, but there are some key differences. 

Who is liable?

Ultimately, the employer is responsible for an employee’s actions as long as the employee conducts company business. That means the employer will need to go through the company’s insurance provider to receive compensation. Immediately following a collision, you should contact your employer to let him or her know about the incident. At that point, your employer should contact the insurance agency to begin the process. 

What is scope of employment?

One scenario where insurance will not cover the damage is an employee going out for activities not directly related to the business. For example, if a boss sends an employee out to meet a client, and the car accident occurs far out from where the employee needed to go, then an insurance company may find the employee was not driving the vehicle under the scope of employment. In this case, insurance may not cover the damages, and the employee will have to pay out of pocket. Therefore, it makes sense for you to stick to your designated routes while out on the town. 

Can you lose your job due to an accident?

Most of the time, the answer is no. However, the scope of employment comes into play here. If you were engaged in reckless driving, and that behavior ultimately caused the accident, then you could lose employment. However, if the accident was not your fault, then you should have nothing to worry about. 

FindLaw Network